[fitswcs] double, double, toil and trouble

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 8 13:51:01 EDT 2009

We'll make it clear that, if one wants a floating point solution and
doubles don't provide the required precision, one may use the doublet
of doubles; and if one does, this is the way to use them.
That probably requires a few sentences on alternative solutions, like
the ones you mention.

  - Arnold

Rob Seaman wrote:
> > 3.1.4. Higher Precision in Binary Tables:  Doublet Vectors
> > In binary tables one may use vector pairs. The time column in
> > such a table shall contain a vector of two doubles where the ?rst
> > component of the doublet contains the integer portion of the time
> > value and the second one the fractional part.
>
> This is confusing two issues, the precision required with the desired
> representation.  Two doubles (or a single quad floating point) may be
> sufficient to a particular purpose - they are not necessary.  Similar
> precision can be obtained by the prudent use of integer or fixed point
> types.
>
> The workflow logistics of various use cases may benefit from avoiding
> floating point.  For instance, integer types compress much better.  In
> general a time series might "want" to be expressed as delta times
> rather than quasi-absolute times.  (As the document points out, all
> timekeeping is relative.)
>
> My concern is just that such usage as described in section pi (3.1.4)
> ought be permitted by FITS, not required.
>
> Rob

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu