[fitswcs] [fitsbits] Draft WCS Paper V: Time

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Apr 7 13:05:14 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Arnold Rots wrote:
> FITS WCS Paper V: Time
> Draft is available for comment

Here it is a somewhat long though perhaps marginal list of comments.
Thanks to all the authors for the work done !

- I declare my incompetence on the following sections (despite they are
   probably among those with deepest science content) :

   most of details in 3.3.1 and almost all of 3.3.2, 3.3.4, 3.3.5, 4.2.1,
   4.2.2, 4.4

- I declare my complete agreement with the following sections :

   note at end of 3.2, 3.5.5 specially about TIMEPIXR, 4.2.3, 4.3.1

   ... then comments follow in section order

- sect. 2 first item list (pag. 1)

   "in table vector columns" sounds a bit cryptic

- sect. 2 third item list (acrosspag. 1/2)

   1) the reference to "pulsar pulse profile" may refer ALSO to folded
      light curves of variable stars (I am thinking of cataclysmic
      variables and X-ray binaries, but any binary will do)

   2) there is a "promise" here to deal with folded light curves which is
      not "mantained" in the rest of the paper.

      In the past I found it was often convenient for my s/w to deal with
      folded light curves in the same way as for standard light curves, it
      is just a matter of replacing the time axis with a phase axis.

      I'd expected to find conventions about PHASE as an axis, and perhaps
      about a way to describe ephemeris in the header.

- sect. 3.1 "times ... will all be considered relative".

   Does this mean that time bins are all elapsed times from either DATEREF,
   MJDREF, JDREF ? Am I correct in interpreting that e.g. in the example
   given in Tab.5 times in column 1 are elapsed times from MJDREF 50814.0
   (which is presumably the start of the day containing the first bin of
   the observation) ? If so this is very similar to formats I've been using
   myself, and I fully agree with this.

   But then I fail to see the need for high precision beyond REAL*8 (see
   comments further below). Actually one of the main purpose my own rate
   files used "elapsed time since since day of observation start" was to
   preserve precision allowing not to exceed a REAL*8 range.

- sect. 3.1 need for 128-bit data type

   I will question the need for this further below. I just wonder how
   standard such a type is as far as software and compiler support. I see
   e.g. that some Fortran compilers do support a REAL*16, I haven't checked
   other languages. Is it also an IEEE standard ?

- sect. 3.1.1 (about datetime type)

   I do agree with the need for a standard to express a date and time as a
   string, and see it essentially confined to header keywords.

   It is true that it could be stored in columns of ASCII tables, but this
   seems a waste to me, and I'm inclined to consider ASCII tables, if not
   deprecated, as confined to things like catalogues.

   It is true that formally it could be used in string columns of binary
   tables, but this is not only a waste of space w.r.t. more efficient
   formats, but also a waste as it will require to decode the ISO string
   into some binary time for each bin.

   Is this what you mean when you say "in 'pixel list' mode" ? Still I
   consider datetime strings are primarily used in keywords and only
   secondarily, if at all, elsewhere (I agree they cannot be used in CRVAL)

   So I fail to see the need for a data type T (since, unfortunately in my
   opinion, but true as a matter of fact, FITS does NOT define EXPLICIT
   types for header keywords ... if it were, I'd fully support an internal
   standard binary encoding for times, and a default standard way to
   display it, sort of like mysql does). And I fail to understand the
   sentence about "premature to prescribed a full format specifier ...
   similar to ... the A format"). ISO times are strings handled WITH an A
   format, full stop.

   Unless you are thinking just of TDISPn formats (in fact I had a plotting
   program which accepted for axis labels an H format, H2 printed hours as
   0-24, H4 printed as 00:00 or 23:59 (or even 34:15), H6 printed 00:00:00
   or 23:59:59 etc.). I.e. of a way specifying how many characters of the
   *standard* ISO form will be shown)

- sect. 3.1.1 gregorian calendar

   1) about reference to the papal bull "Inter gravissimas", I'm not quite
      sure it is inline with the current standard of A&A citations nor with
      the one historians may use.

      I mix a bit of humour with real facts now.

      In the references you quote a "Gregorius, Pope" and in the text a
      "Pope Gregorius 1582" which is like quoting "Rots, PhD" and "Phd Rots
      2009". Also there were at least 16 popes of such name, and this one
      is the 13th, and one should not mix English and Latin. So (seriously)
      either one quotes (presumably) "Gregorius P.P. XIII" (this should be
      how modern popes sign) or "Pope Gregory XIII" unless <GRIN MODE ON>
      one wants to quote it as "Boncompagni, U. 1582" ... might sound a bit
      anti-clerical (*) <GRIN MODE OFF> [although I've seen a literary work
      of pope Pius II quoted as Piccolomini, E.S.]

      Also the reference to the Vatican is anachronistic. Vatican as a
      state exists only since 1929, when the Concordato (agreement) between
      the Catholic Church and the fascist government of Italy was signed.

      In 1582 the state was probably the "State of the Church" or the
      "Pontificial State" or the "Patrimonium Petri", I don't know if
      an official name was in use.

      I'm not even sure that popes in 1582 resided in the Vatican or
      elsewhere in Rome (the cathedral church is S.Giovanni in Laterano,
      not S.Peter ; and the last popes before Pius IX inclusive resided in
      the Quirinal - where later the kings of Italy, and now the Presidents
      of the Republic reside). If you want to quote the "organization"
      publishing the bull (as Her Majesty's Stationery Office publishes the
      Astronomical Almanac), I do not know, probably it was the Apostolic
      Chancery or something similar.

      I suggest that if one wants to make a serious reference one either
      asks our colleagues of the Specola Vaticana (Vatican Observatory,
      based at Steward), or an historian of astronomy (a person like Owen
      Gingerich will surely know).

      The alternative is to forget (pity!) these nices historical
      citations.

   2) the fact that the ISO format can express dates between years 0000 and
      9999 is accidental to the fact 4 digits are used (the Y10K bug, or
      ISO is not confident to last that long, unlike ancient Mayas :-)). I
      would definitely exclude the usage of ISO format for dates before
      october 1582. It is the first time I hear of a gregorian proleptic
      calendar, while the JD system itself starts at 1 Jan 4713 B.C.
      *JULIAN proleptic calendar*, according to the Astronomical Almanac
      (pag.L4 in the 1993 issue accidentally present on my shelf).

      Or leave it at discretion of the few archeo-astronomers which would
      ever write a FITS file with some ancient phenomena.

      <GRIN MODE ON> I never thought to extend the rule "Once FITS forever
      FITS" to the past <GRIN MODE OFF>

- sect. 3.1.1 misc

   where does the difference UTC 00-60 vs all other 00-59 come from ?

- sect.3.1.3 about higher precision

   The reference to sect. 4.2.4 of the FITS standard seems to me mostly
   irrelevant, while I'd liked (here *and there*) a recommendation not to
   use "wasteful" data types (I've seen too many photon images where pixel
   contains a handful of photons, and stored as double precision).

   However I appreciate the fact that timing (and angular coordinates) do
   often require a higher precision (REAL*8 being usually required instead
   of REAL*4 e.g. for angles, and INTEGER*4, and not old INTEGER*2 in the
   old times, for integer number of JDs). The need for higher precision
   comes from the need of : (a) high time resolution ; (b) long time
   baselines. And may become critical if both (a) and (b) apply
   *simultaneously*. Which I'm not convinced it is sufficiently frequent
   (but I do NOT do millisecond pulsars). In most cases I found that a
   REAL*8 (eventually with a specified weight (TIMEDEL ?) on the LSB,
   expressed as elapsed time from an offset (I called it offset, but it is
   sort of DATEREF, the beginning of the day of the observation start time
   in "Unix 1970" seconds).

   An other issue to be considered, is that spacecraft clocks are usually
   binary clocks with the resolution of some 2**-n on the LSB, so that they
   can be kept as binary sequence of some "strange" number of bits (40 ?
   48 ?) ... anyhow well contained into a K integer (64-bit) ... and giving
      full precision (as full as that particular clock allows !)

- sect. 3.1.4 doublet vectors

   I do not quite like this possibility, or at least the fact to
   incorporate it in the standard (remember that a WCS paper is likely to
   be "incorporated by reference" in the FITS standard, as it occurred to
   the other ones).

   It might well be a possible "mission dependent" convention, supported by
   current standard (provided the particular software using it is aware of
   it) and which therefore cannot be invalidated. but then it should be
   clearly marked. I presume the example in Tab. 5 with TFORM1='2D' is of
   this type.  But a vector column of depth 2 can be anything (value and
   error, values in two bands etc.) unless some header kwd documents it
   adheres to a specific convention.

   But there should be some header kwd telling this particular convention
   is in effect.

   And it should be registered in the IAU FWG registry !

- sect. 3.1.5 higher precision S format

   Although not convinced about its need, for analogy with the K and Q
   formats, I could stand (obtorto collo) to a 64-bit REAL*16 at some
   conditions :

   - widespread and univocal support by compilers
   - is it an IEEE standard (like E and D are) ?

   However I do not understand the reference to L and Q types (did you mean
   K and Q ?).

   Also I do not understand the reference to ASCII tables in the title, and
   to its usage in timestamps (I assume that by timestamps you mean an
   *header kwd* like DATE or DATE-OBS). An S descriptor is a binary
   descriptor for binary tables. How can it apply to ASCII tables, or to
   (typeless by definition) header kwds) ?

- sect. 3.2

   1) the "are found" in the first line is presumably a "can be found".
      Tou are defining reserved kwd names, not specifying mandatory kwds,
      aren't you (should we use "shall" and "should" according to RFC2119
      as in the main FITS standard ?

   2) somw kwds are in the main standard (DATE DATE-OBS), some other in
      earlier WCS papers. The rest is new.

   3) I do not understand how "higher precision floating" may refer to an
      HEADER KWD (see comment above).

- table 1

   The order of the possible TIMESYS values is not the same as in the
   Appendix B of the standard (which will have to be suppressed once WCS V
   is incorporated). Either alphabetic or importance order please !

   Also the list is not the same as in App. B. There are no UT and AT, but
   there is a new IAT (which however is deprecated).

   What is the sense of listing TDT and IAT and deprecate them ? One cannot
   deprecate what was not in the standard and there is no sense in
   instituting a deprecated standard !

   Also GPS was deprecated in App. B and now it is no longer. Correct ?

- table 2

   some of these 8-char code do occur already in the standard in 8.7
   (spectral reference systems). Some other codes which are in 8.7 are not
   reported here (why ? are they not applicable ? I am not a radial
   velocity expert)

   Somebody criticised the 8 char codes. Could we relax the prescription
   allowing longer legible names (e.g. GEOCENTEr), providing that only the
   first 8 char are significant (pad with blanks the shorter planet names
   ?)

- sect 3.3.2

   in the description of TREFPOS make *explicit* reference to tab. 2

- sect 3.3.3

   1) OBSORBIT : who guarantees that a given URL be long-lived ?  Should we
      institute an IAU repository ?

   2) include in footnote an URL for OGIP conventions (or have them linked
      in the IAU FWG convention registry)

- sect. 3.3.4

   last note on OGIP RA_NOM DEC_NOM convention deserves a reference and/or
   inclusion in the IAU FWG convention registry

- sect 3.4

   The reference should be section 4.3 and tab. 4.2 in the FITS standard,
   correct ?

   I note "cy" (century, i.e. hetto-year, not centi-year :-)) is not in
   table 4.2. Is it worth including ?

   Does 3.4 allow the usage of multipliers in sect. 4.3 of the standard ?
   In particular both 10**n and 2**n multipliers ? 2**n multipliers should
   allow to work with spacecraft clocks unchanged.

- sect. 3.5.1

   usage of offset unclear

- sect. 3.5.4

   resolution of timestamps a single double. Why double ? to timestamp a
   creation time an Unix 1970 (32-bit) time suffices (or at least it will
   until 2038)

   Or am I not understanding what you mean by time stamps ? I am thinking
   of file creation or modification times, or record time stamps (as e.g.
   present in mysql with TIMESTAMP datatype).

   Are you talking instead of photon time tags ?

- sect. 3.6

   why include (only) the Chandra examples ? Either no examples, or more
   than one.

   I do not like the truncated name XPOSURE (if not a typo)

   In general this section seems excessive, it contains the reference to a
   plethora of instrument-specific or context-specific conventions. Also
   the interpretation of most of these kwds is of administrative nature,
   and in general I do not like the fact that presence or absence of kwds
   which can be irrelevant in some cases forbid the application of certain
   s/w modules (or require workarounds because of administrative
   inconsistencies).

   With the exception of a possible standard regulation of GTIs (exposure
   profiles) I'd remove most of the section.

   Instead of XPOSURE one could have EXPOKWD with a string value, pointing
   to the name of the keyword (file dependent according to pre-existing
   conventions) containing the "main" exposure.

- sect. 4.3

   a light curve example could be useful along with an event file example
   as now

- sect. 4.4

   why regulate by standard a feature which is deprecated outside of a
   particular community usage ?

- sect. 5

   1) line 1 : typo "salient"

   2) You "anticipate" the inclusion in the standard of the T and S types
      (see above for substantial comments). As a procedural point, how can
      a paper which will be "incorporated in the standard"  "anticipate"
      something ?

   3) ah, you quote here an IEEE standard. Then appendix E of the FITS
      standard should be updated.

   4) about the 2D convention see comment below (it belongs to the
      convention registry, and shall be flagged in the header)