[fitswcs] [Fwd: PV index perhaps wrong in version 3.0]

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed Sep 10 13:43:22 EDT 2008

On Mon 2008-09-08T11:09:54 -0400, William Pence hath writ:
> The question below was sent to the FITS support office.  Is Table 8.1 in
> the FITS Standand incorrect?  Should it state that LONPOLEa and LATPOLEa
> are associated with PVi_3a and PVi_4a instead of PVi_1a and PVi_2a?

I think the erudite response is "oh rats",
and the answers are yes and yes.

> Table 8.1 section 8, page 74 lists for the native longitude and latitude
>   of the celestial pole the keywords LONPOLEa= and LATPOLEa= which,
> according to the table is equivalent to PVi_1a and PVi_2a.
> However, in the same table these keywords were previously attached to
> the fiducial point. Also Calabretta and Greisen use PVi_3a and PVi_4a in
> their article 'Representations of celestial coordinates in FITS'.
> Please can you inform me about what is right (i.e. standard FITS) in
> this case?

Plainly table 8.1 on page 74 of the standard is intended to be
entry for entry identical with WCS Paper II, Table 1, on page
1079 of the A&A journal.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855