[fitswcs] Polarization codes

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 19 14:22:11 EDT 2008

William Thompson wrote:

> I've talked to some of my colleagues about magnetometer data, which I'm not as
> familiar with.  Usually, magnetometer data is distributed already combined into
> physical quantities, such as magnetic field strength, or azimuth and elevation
> angles.  When the actual polarization state of the data are distributed, they're
> distributed as I,Q,U,V images, which are already well covered by the current
> standard.  (However, I'm not aware of anybody who actually *uses* that standard
> for magnetograph data--probably, they don't even know it exists.)  The actual
> filtergrams are not routinely distributed.

A little more information about this.  Apparently some data are distributed with
wavelength along one dimension, and the Stokes values at each wavelength along
the other dimension.  Other data are distributed with the I,Q,U,V values derived
from integrals over the line profile.

--
William Thompson
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center