[fitswcs] Polarization codes

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 14 16:20:29 EDT 2008

Steve Allen wrote:
> On Fri 2008-03-14T02:39:27 +0000, Paddy Leahy hath writ:
>> Example: From (IQUV) absorption spectra, calculate the optical depth
>> separately for polarized and unpolarized emission. The ratio (fractional
>> polarization of optical depth) tells you something interesting about the
>> absorbing material. The polarized absorption may also be anisotropic,
>> hence there may be an angle for the polarized optical depth. This can
>> happen in theory for absorption by Zeeman-split lines, although I have to
>> admit that I've not heard about a measurement in an astronomical context.
>
> Isn't this pretty much the data used by a solar magnetograph?
> If so, we need input from practicing solar astronomers before we're done.

I can give you some information from my own experience.  There are three cases
that I'm aware of where polarization is important:

1.  Line-of-sight or vector magnetographs
2.  Coronagraphs
3.  Solar radio astronomy

My own experience is with coronagraph data.  There are two quantities that are
important in coronagraphic polarimetry, the total brightness (denoted B), and
the linearly polarized brightness (pB).  Since the scattered light from the
corona is always polarized tangential to the limb, the actual direction of
polarization (mu) is not generally of interest, except as a check on the
validity of the data.  I will point out, however, that the definition of the
angle of polarization as we use it differs by a factor of two from that
described in Paddy Leahy's original post.

The coronagraphs on STEREO take measurements at 3 polarization angles separated
by 120 degrees.  These are stored separately as individual 2D FITS files, with
the keyword POLAR in the header giving the angle of the linear polarizer for
each exposure.  From image triplets the total brightness and polarized
brightness images (or the ratio) are formed and stored in separate 2D FITS
files.  I doubt it would really be of interest to define a "polarization axis"
where both B and pB are combined into a single array.  In any case, one couldn't
include the fractional polarization or angle in this scheme because of the
different units.

I've talked to some of my colleagues about magnetometer data, which I'm not as
familiar with.  Usually, magnetometer data is distributed already combined into
physical quantities, such as magnetic field strength, or azimuth and elevation
angles.  When the actual polarization state of the data are distributed, they're
distributed as I,Q,U,V images, which are already well covered by the current
standard.  (However, I'm not aware of anybody who actually *uses* that standard
for magnetograph data--probably, they don't even know it exists.)  The actual
filtergrams are not routinely distributed.

Finally, I have very little familiarity with solar radio data.  I'm given to
understand that radio data are usually distributed as either separate left and
right polarization data, or as Stokes I and V, both of which are covered by the
current standard.  Some of my colleagues who are more familiar with radio
observations are gone for the day, so I may have more to say on the subject
later.  In any case, there's a lot of overlap between solar and celestial radio
astronomy, e.g. both use the VSO, so I would expect that community practices
would be very similar.

Personally, I think that one has to make a distinction between data axes and
data types, and they should not be confused together.  The current Stokes
standard in the WCS makes a certain amount of sense, because a "Stokes vector"
is a well defined quantity.  These other parameters, such as B and pB, are
quantities, and should be described as such, e.g. through a keyword such as
BYTPE.  One should definitely *not* use degenerate axes for this kind of
information.

Bill Thompson

--
William Thompson