[fitswcs] Polarization codes

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 13 15:26:04 EDT 2008

Hi All -

I am sure there are plenty of other lurkers following this discussion,
including myself.

We are currently having a similar discussion within VO, in connection
with the new version of the VO image access interface, which will
support cube or N-D data including spectral and time cubes, and
polarization.  We want this to be as compatible as possible with FITS.
FITS pretty much addresses this already, at least for spectral data
and polarization, but not I think for time cubes.

Someone (Mark I think) said earlier that it made sense to represent
the spatial, spectral, and polarization measurements as image axes,
since these represent fundamental physical measurements and can have
multiple values for a single dataset, and I think I agree.  That would
give us images of up to 4-D for a spectral data cube with polarization.
In general any of these "axes" might be degenerate, with a single
value.  The only fundamental physical measurement axis missing is the
time axis.  While not currently addressed by FITS, VO includes this.

	- Doug