[fitswcs] Polynomial projection

William Pence William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed May 4 13:00:47 EDT 2005

I'm not clear about what is planned for Paper IV.  To cite a particular
example of the type of spectral analysis that I used to do, suppose you
record an optical spectrum on a 1024-pixel 1-D detector.  The wavelength
dispersion equation is nearly linear on this detector, but higher order
terms are typically fit using a polynomial of the form:

   wavelength(angstroms) = A_0 + A_1 * (i/1000) + A_2 * (i/1000)**2 +
         A_3 * (i/1000)**3

where 'i' is the detector pixel number in the range 1 to 1024.  The division
by 1000 is done to approximately normalize the range of the independent
variable, to help increase the numerical precision in the least squares
determination of the coefficients.

Will Paper VI provide a mechanism for using this sort of polynomial fit (or
something similar to it) as a spectral WCS projection?

Bill

Dr. William Pence                          William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)