[fitswcs] approval of FITS WCS proposals

Bob Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Tue Jul 16 14:18:12 EDT 2002

Dr. Peter Teuben, chair of the AAS WGAS FITS Committee, has reported to me
the results of the recent vote on Papers I and II of the FITS World
Coordinate Systems (WCS) proposals:

_15_ I approve of Papers I and II as establishing the WCS framework and
    the representation of WCS in sky coordinates.

_0_ I do not approve of Papers I and II.

Three committee members did not or could not participate in the vote.
Nevertheless, I consider this an overwhelmingly strong endorsement, and I
urge the other regional committees to consider these proposals as soon as
possible.

It has been a long and arduous journey to reach this point.  I thank all
involved for their perseverance and commitment to excellence.  To Eric
Greisen and Mark Calabretta, in particular, thanks for a job well done (and
for your patience).

Bob Hanisch
Chair, AAS Working Group on Astronomical Software
hanisch at stsci.edu