[fitswcs] new WCS papers

Don Wells dwells at cv.nrao.edu
Tue Jan 15 19:36:09 EST 2002

Dear Friends of FITS WCS,

Don Wells writes:
 > ., I was dismayed to find that the CDELTis keyword had been
 > resurrected and that PCj_is had replaced the CDj_is.. reason number
 > 5 asserts that 'Paper IV will show that some instruments require
 > distortion corrections before, and others after the linear
 > transformation matrix'.. this argument is decisive for me: I accept
 > the change to CDELTis and PCj_is as described and justified in
 > WCS-I..

Several people have asked for more time to review the implications of
the CD-->PC+CDELT change.  It has been suggested that we allow at
least two weeks, until early February, for these reviews.

 > ..I conclude that the process has converged (at last)..

I reached that conclusion on the basis of absence of comments.  My
posting has caused comments and reviews to resume, and so it is clear
that we have not yet converged.

I repeat this exhortation:
 > ..any.. <fitswcs> readers who want to propose any more
 > modifications to the three papers should propose them *now*.

Regards,
Don Wells [Chair, IAU-FWG]
  Donald C. Wells      Scientist - GBT Project        dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-434-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA
       (DCW is often in Green Bank, West Virginia, at +1-304-456-2146)