[fitswcs] NAXIS vs. WCSDIM

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 27 08:28:24 EDT 2001

Doug Tody wrote:

> The issue isn't just minimizing changes to existing software however.  Some
> of us feel that having the image and the WCS stand alone as separate objects
> (while still being easily associated) is the more general and flexible
> approach in any case.
>
> 	- Doug

This can also be achieved in the current system by setting NAXISi=0
(and allowing that value if it isn't at the moment - I can't quite
remember).  That is what I would really call a degenerate axis.

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu