[fitswcs] WCS documents

Doug Tody tody at tucana.tuc.noao.edu
Wed Sep 26 09:58:03 EDT 2001

Stephane - What you describe below is what we called the axis map,
used to map the image axes to WCS axes (it is mentioned at the end
of section III).  We suggested that this could be skipped for FITS
WCS as FITS is generally optimized for static archival data and
the WCS axes can be reordered if dimensional reduction is necessary.
But as you say, it would avoid the need to do so in many cases.
It is especially useful when a WCS has to be maintained in a runtime
context where images are being modified or created.

	Doug