[fitswcs] WCS documents

Eric Greisen egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Mon Sep 17 16:00:05 EDT 2001

I do not favor the use of NAXIS solely for the multi-pixel axes.  It
misses too many very useful cases including those arising from
subimaging and leads to people thinking that an image has only a
spectral and 1 positional axis when there can never be 1 positional
axis.

But, if I am *forced* to accept some compromise then let's at least
use WCSAXES (NAXIS should have been NAXES).  Note that this "solution"
is not a compromise, it is a total capitulation to a view I cannot
even understand.

The radio software will have to be fixed to handle the use of WCSAXES
> NAXIS (by replacing NAXIS with WCSAXES) or it will break.  We are
not talking about an *internal* format.  We are talking about an
*external* *transport* format which by definition is expected to be
translated when being read to or written from an internal format.