[fitswcs] WCS documents

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Oct 12 10:59:26 EDT 2001

Arnold Rots writes:
 > It has one major disadvantage: the definition of the units list -
 > which I don't think is controversial - may be held up by mixing it
 > with the square brackets proposal - which I think is controversial.

Why do you thing it so controversial?  It is at most a recommended
practise and for reasons I have already stated can never be promoted
to a higher level.  I was about to suggest the following Paragrah to
be added to Paper I following the CUNITns paragraph.

If the units of the keyword value are specified in the comment of the
header keyword, it is recommended that the units string be enclosed in
square brackets at the beginning of the comment field, separated from
the slash (``{\tt /}'') comment field delimiter by a single space
character.  This widespread, but optional, convention suggests that
square brackets should be used in comment fields only for this
purpose.  An example, from Paper III is:\\
{\tt RESTFRQA=    1.420405752E+09 / [Hz] rest frequency}