[fitswcs] WCS documents

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 11 18:03:50 EDT 2001

Peter Teuben's suggestion, below, to add more examples to the current
keyword units proposal highlights the awkwardness of the current situation:
the convention for enclosing the keyword units in square brackets is being
defined in one place (proposed to be added to section 5.3 of the FITS
Standard), but recommendations for the contents of the units string itself
are defined in another place (Appendix B of WCS Paper I).   I think these
proposals need to be merged into a common proposal that would replace the 2
sentences that are currently in the Units section 5.3 in the FITS Standard.
Section 5.3 is the logical place to put all units-related information; other
sections of the Standard which need to deal with units (e.g., the discussion
of the TUNITSn keyword in sections 8.1.2 and 8.3.2) simply refer back to
section 5.3.  I think it is a bit inappropriate to have the discussion of
the allowed units strings only in the WCS paper, because this is relevant in
many other contexts that have nothing to do with WCS.

So, I propose the following:  We remove appendix B from the WCS paper, merge
it with the current keyword units proposal at
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits/keywordunits.html, and submit
this as a separate proposal to replace the current section 5.3 in the FITS
Standard.

This has a number of advantages:

1.  It simplifies the WCS paper.  All the WCS paper needs to state is:
"Units must follow the prescriptions of section 5.3 of the FITS Standard".
This will also remove any debate about the allowed units strings when the
WCS papers come up for a vote.  I believe Appendix B could be removed from
Paper I with little or no change to the rest of the paper and thus should
not introduce any additional delay in getting the WCS Papers approved.  I
may have missed it, but I didn't see any reference to Appendix B in the body
of the paper.

2.  This new Units proposal can be prepared and submitted to the FITS
committees very quickly.  Someone just needs to merge the text from the 2
separate proposals, and perhaps make a few editorial changes to make the
language suitable for inclusion in the FITS Standard.  Eric is probably the
logical person to do this, but I am certainly willing to help.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea??

-Bill

Dr. William Pence                          pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov