[fitswcs] Intro

Erik Deul deul at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Oct 1 05:11:59 EDT 1998

Dear fitswcs-list members,

Let me introduce myself so you know who you are dealing with. I am Erik
Deul from Leiden Observatory, The Netherlands, where I work on (helping)
designing and implementing data processing pipelines for several large scale
optical and near infrared imaging surveys. These surveys range from existing
surveys like the DeNIS 2 micron survey and the EIS (ESO Imaging Survey) to
future projects such as ESO VST OmegaCam (multi CCD Wide Field Imager) and
TeraPix/MegaCam (CHFT Wide field Imager) pipelines. So I am basically a
user of WCS.

>From collegues here at ESO I have obtained the past discussion on this
list-server to get an idea on what will be the standard in representing the
astrometric distortion information in the FITS WCS. As I already have
running pipelines implemented way before this debate by definition a
non-standard representation was adopted. Because, implementation of new
functionality (switch from single CCD to multiple CCD astrometric
calibration, see mail by Miguel Albrecht) is currently in an advanced state

I was seeking for a standard way to implement the astrometric distortion
information for each CCD in the FITS extended structure that stores the
multi CCD imagery.

Now it seems to me there is a big silence on this mail-exploder as of
August 21th. And there is still no final conclusion. Is it brewing; can
we expect something on the next ADASS.

Anxiously waiting for an emerging standard.

Erik

--

     _/_/_/_/         _/_/_/                Erik Deul
    _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/    Sterrewacht Leiden/Leiden Observatory