[fitsmime] IETF-ready draft of FITS MIME proposal

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Aug 19 01:00:34 EDT 2004

Greetings to everyone on the FITS MIME mailing list.

The IAU FITS Working Group recently approved submission of the
FITS MIME proposal to the IETF as an Internet Draft.  I have
just sent the note that follows to the IAUFWG mailing list.

The FITSMIME mailing list currently receives a significant amount of
unsolicited commercial e-mail, and there has not been a substantive
posting for many months.  Shortly after submitting the document to the
IETF I intend to request that the FITSMIME address be shut down,
with only the archive website remaining in existence.

My thanks goes to everyone who participated in the discussions which
have resulted in the document.

%%%%

On my website at
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/fits/mime/
is now a final draft of the FITS MIME proposal with the
formatting changes needed for acceptance by the IETF.

All of the checklist items have been checked.

Aside from formatting there have been two substantive changes:

1) the FITS Liberator application noted by Don Wells has been added
2) the URL for the US-VO publications has been updated to be valid

There are also changes as required by evolution of the IETF process.
The previous draft complied with RFC 2026, but during the review
process the IETF specification changed to RFCs 3667 and 3668.
Accordingly the IETF boilerplate has been updated.

The next IETF meeting is in early November, and the cutoff for
consideration is one month before that.  The IETF could request some
revisions to the draft before that time.

If there is no objection I will submit this to the IETF on August 26
as an Internet Draft.

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla