[fitsmime] FITS Mime-Types for Mosaics

William Thompson thompson at orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 6 15:30:02 EST 2002

I know that the word "image" is used differently in the FITS community than in
the rest of the world, but it appears that its meaning in the MIME community is
the more conventional non-FITS meaning.  All the image/xyz mime types listed
that I can recognize are certainly 2D images.  This is also implied by the
following text from RFC2046:

    (2)   image -- image data.  "Image" requires a display device
          (such as a graphical display, a graphics printer, or a
          FAX machine) to view the information. An initial
          subtype is defined for the widely-used image format
          JPEG. .  subtypes are defined for two widely-used image
          formats, jpeg and gif.

William Thompson