[fitsbits] FITS Errata. {External}

William Pence wdpence2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 15:01:18 EDT 2024

Regarding known errors in the FITS Standard document, I think an Errata page should be placed online until such time as a new version of the document can be produced. Here are 3 items I know of:

1.  Section 10.1.3:  This sentence “If the heap is larger than 2.1 GB, then the ‘1Q’ format (which uses 64-bit pointers) must be used.” is incorrect because the ‘1P’ format can also produce a heap that is larger than 2.1 GB. See my email to fitsbits on 26 Oct 2023 for a suggested rewording of this section.

2.  Section 10.2.1:  In the sentence "... pixels in the floating-point image that are exactly equal to 0.0 are represented by the reserved value -2147483647 in the quantized integer array...", the reserved value should be -2147483646.

3.  Section 10.3.6:  In the recipe for compressing variable-length array columns, the sentence that says append one set of variable-length array descriptors after another set is backwards. The 2 sets should be combined in the opposite order.

Does anyone know of any other errors or any sections in the Standard that need clarification?

Bill