[fitsbits] Output array type when BZERO is an integer {External}

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Mar 14 00:42:40 EDT 2024

On Wed 2024-03-13T10:18:18-0400 Barrett, Paul via fitsbits hath writ:
> To the point, it will require >30 digits to represent time
> accurately. It is possible that optical and nuclear clocks will be
> available commercially in about a decade. We might want to prepare for this
> situation.

We already run instruments at Keck which have 10 ns ticks within a
rollover window of 500 years, but an accuracy w.r.t.  actual UTC of
not really 1 microsecond.

In the FITS files we present these as absolute event timestamps in UTC
with microsecond resolution, but to preserve full precision of
relative event timestamps we present the raw values as hexadecimal
strings to the full precision of the detector counters.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855