[fitsbits] Output array type when BZERO is an integer {External}

Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) rseaman at arizona.edu
Wed Mar 13 11:06:00 EDT 2024

Mark Taylor said:
64-bit integers are often used as source identifiers, e.g. SDSS ObjID and Gaia source_id.  These don't often come in images/arrays but do often come in tables.  I have come across TZEROn = 9223372036854775808 to represent unsigned 64-bit integers (SDSS DR15 I think).

The small bodies community in the solar system often uses base-62 to represent large integer values in a small number of digits. Which is more annoying for humans is a matter of opinion: “No that’s big-X little-a…” versus “two 8s, three 7’s, a 2, and a 0”.
Rob