[fitsbits] Output array type when BZERO is an integer {External}

Barrett, Paul pebarrett at email.gwu.edu
Tue Mar 12 10:57:53 EDT 2024

I'll ask this question one more time and then I'll let it go.

I understand that the default behaviour for BZERO and BSCALE creates a
floating point array because of the typical upconversion rules. However,
I'm not clear about the data type for the special case where BZERO is an
integer. In this case, it appears that BZERO is added first to the integer
array before converting it to a floating point array, because BSCALE = 1.0
implies upconversion. Is this correct?

As for your comments:

* I disagree with your first comment. FITS is used because of peer
pressure. It is mandated by NASA. That means a large sector of the
community HAS to use it.
* Yes, dynamic languages are dynamic enough. In the case of Julia, it can
do everything that C/C++, FORTRAN, and Python can do. *Think of Julia as
Python with Numba built-in.*

 -- Paul