[fitsbits] Output array type when BZERO is an integer {External}

Barrett, Paul pebarrett at email.gwu.edu
Sat Mar 9 14:20:09 EST 2024

I'm writing a FITS package for the Julia programming language. I have a
question about the output type of the image when BZERO is an integer value.
The documentation implies that the output image should be a floating point
type because the BSCALE value is a float. Is this correct? If yes, then I
recommend stating this explicitly in the FITS standard documentation. I
also recommend suggesting the appropriate output type depending on the
input type, e.g., UInt8 => Float32, Int16 => Float32, etc.

Thanks,
Paul