[fitsbits] FITS evolution {External}

William Pence wdpence2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 17 15:13:53 EST 2023

Demitri,

I wanted to comment on a few of the issues you raised:

1.  “some aspects [of FITS] really show their age (headers, anyone?)”

The FITS header design is based on the 80-character IBM punched cards that we used back in the 1980s, which certainly qualifies as archaic.  However, FITS conventions have been developed to work around the most serious limitations. Now one can create keywords whose names are  40 characters or more long, and string-valued keywords can have arbitrarily long character string values that are continued over multiple header records.  Another commonly heard complaint about FITS headers is that if there is no room in the header to append another keyword, then the following data unit and any following extensions must be recopied in order to insert another empty FITS block in the header.  However, this should not be necessary if one simply preallocates enough scratch space in the header when it is first created to hold the anticipated total number of keyword that will eventually be written.

2.  “I don’t know anything about the IAU governance.”

Since the FITS  community has been largely inactive since 2016, it is understandable that many people don’t know or have forgotten this. Astronomers started using the FITS format in about 1980 and the IAU created the FITS Working Group in 1988 to “maintain the existing FITS standards and to review, approve and maintain future extensions to FITS”.   The FITS WG is fairly large with 20+ members with expertise in a broad range of astronomical sub fields to be able to carefully review any proposed changes to the FITS Standard document. Note that the FITS WG is too big and unwieldy to develop new proposals for improving FITS by itself;  it relies on smaller groups of technical experts to submit detailed proposals to improve the FITS format.

The last significant work by the FITS WG occurred in 2016. Since then it has not received any new proposals to consider. Now, in 2023, only about a third of the previous WG members are still actively working.  So, if and when any new proposal to improve the FITS format is developed, the IAU (specifically the Data Representation Working Group under Commission B2) would need to appoint new members to the FITS WG to review that proposal.

3. “It is my understanding that there are minimal funds available to managing the FITS format [at the HEASARC].”

As a continuing emeritus at the HEASARC at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, I can assure you that this is not true.  The HEASARC continues to fully fund the maintenance and enhancement of its large collection of FITS software (CFITSIO, FV, FPACK, FVERIFY, FTOOLS, etc.) and hosting the FITS Support Office website. Incidentally, CFITSIO is now on GitHub where anyone can submit bug fixes or enhancements.

4. “Once FITS always FITS”

This often misunderstood mantra comes directly from the following sentence in section 3.7 of the FITS standard: “Any structure that is a valid FITS structure shall remain a valid FITS structure at all future times.”  Simply put, this just means that the FITS format cannot be changed in any way that would cause existing FITS files to no longer be valid. The FITS Standard places no requirements at all on what types of FITS files that software programs should support. Thus both of your A and B interpretations of this mantra are false.

Regards,

Bill Pence
Emeritus, HEASARC at NASA/GSFC