[fitsbits] FITS evolution {External}

Dirk Petry dpetry at eso.org
Sun Dec 17 09:04:30 EST 2023

Thanks for all the very useful information posted so far.
I also had the opportunity to talk to Preben Grosbol here at ESO.
I will try to hand on all this information to the right people at ALMA.
Fortunately, the Plan A of ALMA so far is to stay with FITS.

And if we (the participants in this email conversation) manage to
restart a group of FITS standard keepers either in the existing form
at NASA and the IAU, or in a new form, I think we would make
a big contribution to the health of the astronomical community.
A common image data format is fundamental.

Maybe some kind of campaign is needed to inform the community about
the advanced FITS features and about what the structure of a modern
FITS image should look like. A training session could be offered
at ADASS in 2024 and elsewhere.

Then the next generation of data analysis programmers can make
sure that the images coming out of the upcoming big observatories
are optimally formatted and a good advertisement for FITS.

Best,

Dirk