[fitsbits] DOI keyword usage for FITS? {External}

Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) rseaman at arizona.edu
Fri Aug 4 10:07:10 EDT 2023

Outlook is a terrible mail client. In case it wasn’t clear, I was quoting from the current FITS standard. To repeat, from section 4.1.2.3:

“The mandatory FITS keywords defined in this Standard must not appear more than once within a header. All other keywords that have a value should not appear more than once. If a keyword does appear multiple times with different values, then the value is indeterminate.”

And REFERENC= T violates section 4.4.2.3. Also, rather than define a separate table for each type of metadata, FITS could retire the entire header metadata model (beyond structural keywords) in favor of whatever normalized set of metadata bintables can best represent a complete modern data model.

Many discussions over the years, e.g., at ADASS, have been in support of building near-eternal astronomical data archives. During the early days of FITS, this was supported by its documentation being published in paper journals. I don’t know what digital journals are planning for long-term preservation, but they certainly should plan for their intellectual property to survive their own inevitable bankruptcies whenever some vulture capitalist comes along.

Note that abstract submission is open for ADASS XXXIII: https://adass2023.lpl.arizona.edu, registration will open soon. This discussion is already a good start at the agenda for the FITS BoF. Somebody should submit an abstract.

Remind me not to be buried in the Netherlands.

Rob