[fitsbits] DOI keyword usage for FITS? {External}

Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) rseaman at arizona.edu
Thu Aug 3 13:18:33 EDT 2023

That seems a bit dismissive of the whole notion of DOIs. Also, thoughts about duplicate keywords?

The mandatory FITS keywords defined in this Standard must not appear more than once within a header. All other keywords that have a value should not appear more than once. If a keyword does appear multiple times with different values, then the value is indeterminate.

Rob

On 8/3/23, 10:13 AM, "fitsbits" wrote:

On Thu 2023-08-03T14:37:17+0000 Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) via fitsbits hath writ:
> REFERENC keyword.

> We’ll do that if nobody recommends otherwise.

I was greatly dismayed to find that some of the DOI which are included
in the bibliographies of the ADS database do not resolve.
In particular there are DOI which once pointed to Transactions of the
IAU that now point nowhere because they have not been "maintained".
That was an unpleasant surprise and it violates the design that FITS
is supposed to be self-documenting and archival.

If DOI is used as the value of a REFERENC keyword then I recommend
using more than one REFERENC keyword with an alternative lookup
scheme.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855