[fitsbits] "FITS BoF" at this year's ADASS in less than two weeks

Jessica Mink jmink at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 29 09:03:13 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Our annual face-to-face get-together and  discussion of data format
standards will happen online in cyberspace this year at the 30th annual
Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems Conference instead of in
Grenada, Spain, where the Local Organizing Committee is based. Hopefully
more of us can attend than usual. Registration is 100 Euros; the home
page is https://adass2020.es/

I'd love to have contributions from people who are working on other data
standards as well as FITS. PDS4, from the Planetary Science community
looks especially interesting to me.

-Jessica Mink
  Telescope Data Center
  Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
  Cambridge, Massachusetts USA
  http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/mink/

Standardizing New and Improving Old Data Formats in Astronomy
2020-11-10T13:00 – 2020-11-10T14:30 UTC
(=8:00 am Tuesday November 10 Eastern Standard TIme in the US)

While FITS is still our most common standard data format, incremental
improvements could better carry it into the future as part of an
ecosystem including other formats, both coequal and structural. What are
those formats, and where are they in the standardization process? We'll
have our annual status reports and maybe some new ideas.

Theme – Science Platforms and Data Lakes, Multi-Messenger Astronomy,
Data Processing Pipelines and Science-Ready Data, Data Interoperability