[fitsbits] Preservation of digital data guaranteed to last at least 500 years

Jessica Mink jmink at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 26 14:50:07 EDT 2018

Well, we have data from up to 130 years ago in 500,000 photographic
plates in the Harvard Plate Collection, of which over 200,000 have been
digitized so far, into FITS image files and source catalogs on spinning
disks stored in multiple locations. The plates are more permanent that
the disks, unless they are flooded by a water main break...

I'm currently working with digital spectra from various Mt. Hopkins
spectrographs which go back as far as 1979. They've been migrated across
various disks and operating systems over the years but are still
basically intact, though as we migrate the archive into a cloud service,
we are finding that the data is not quite as uniform as we thought that
it was. I've been involved for the past 30 years, though, so I mostly
understand the nature of the variations, and the PI of the original
project is still around, though busy with Kepler and Tess...

-Jessica