[fitsbits] Preservation of digital data guaranteed to last at least 500 years

Carlos Gabriel carlos.gabriel at sciops.esa.int
Fri Apr 20 05:19:44 EDT 2018

Carlos GABRIEL
Carlos.Gabriel at esa.int

XMM-Newton Science Operations Centre
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
European Space Agency (ESA)

Camino Bajo del Castillo s/n
Urb. Villafranca del Castillo
28692 Villanueva de la Cañada - Madrid        Tel:   +34 91 813 13 51
SPAIN                                         			Mob: +34 687 49 90 77

> On 20 Apr 2018, at 10:33, Clive Page <clivegpage at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/04/2018 04:26, William Pence wrote:
>> Can any astronomical observatory claim to have anything close to this level of data preservation security??
>
> Does any astronomical observatory have anything like the financial resources of The Vatican?

If any astronomical observatory comes to a comparable level of financial resources and decides that a pope is needed, I volunteer… I am also from Argentina!

> --
> Clive Page

This message is sent for information and/or discussion purposes only.
It shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment for ESA.
It is intended only for the recipient(s) named above.
It may contain proprietary information and/or protected content.
Any unauthorised disclosure, use, retention or dissemination is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately.
ESA applies appropriate organisational measures to protect personal data.
In case of data privacy queries, please contact the ESA Data Protection Officer (dpo at esa.int).

Thank you.