[fitsbits] BINTABLE convention for >999 columns

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 12:17:51 EDT 2017

Hi,

I completely agree with every point Mark makes on this. This is not the way to extend functionality into a standard. I fully acknowledge the need for large table support, but the solutions presented are, I agree, a kludge.

Since the long table doesn't fit into the existing table format, why not create a new extension that is purpose-built for this? Is this not the idea behind FITS extensions? This is a reasonable request of the format, but without the procedure to add new functionality like this to the format, FITS becomes a frozen in time. There are too many instances of the tail wagging the dog which is what will happen (has happened) if the format is not addressing community needs. This is both bad for software developers and worse for users.

The most reasonable way forward here is that a long table specification be proposed in a deliberate manner (i.e. not hacking keywords), discussed, and brought into the FITS standard. As others have noted, this doesn't sound like a significant modification of the existing table extension. If Mark Taylor wants to push forward with some way to shoehorn long tables into files for use in TopCat, he's of course free to do so. But don't call them FITS files.

Cheers,
Demitri