[fitsbits] BINTABLE convention for >999 columns

Francois-Xavier PINEAU francois-xavier.pineau at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jul 7 09:49:21 EDT 2017

Because:
  - I do not see any good conceptual reason why not accept more than 999
columns in a FITS table.
    The reason appears to be purely technical: only 3 characters
provided to encode the column index.
  - It would be a forced denormalization of the relational model (a fits
reader will see 2 or more tables)
  - It would convoluted the data access algorithm (need to perform joins)
  - It would imply to read multiple blocks on the HDD, which is less
effective than a simple sequential read (depending buffer sizes, ...; on
a HDD reading at 150 MB/s with an access time of 10 ms, each
displacement of the heads <=> the time to read 1.5 MB of data)

I agree with this solution if one knows that a sub-part of the columns
are not very interesting and will almost never be read (on purpose
denormalization).

fx