[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the Green Bank convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Wed May 25 10:07:24 EDT 2016

I am strongly opposed to adopting this convention within the FITS
standard although I think it is perfectly appropriate for projects to
use as they wish.

The problem I see is that the convention is too ill-defined and strongly
and undesirably couples the FITS header and content. From the
perspective of software that is to consume FITS files the implication is
that if a user is reading a binary table and the user asks for a column
which is not present in the table but which matches any header field,
then the software should return data as if the column is found using the
value in the header.   This is a immense change to software and means
that the reader can't simply use the header to determine the metadata
for the columns, it may turn out that there are columns hidden there.
And there are lots of arbitrary choices so we have to carry the header
along forever.  Are integer values 1, 2, 4 or 8 bytes?  Are reals 4 or
8?  What's to be done if a there is a keyword with an explicitly null
value?  What limits do we impose: Can the user ask for BITPIX as a column?

If this convention were restricted to some specific list of keywords it
would be less problematic, but as part of the standard I'd see it as a
kludge.

I hadn't understood the Greenbank convention as going the other way:
replacing a header keyword with a column in the table, but I also think
this is misguided.  For keywords which are not defined in the FITS
standards, the user is already free to define such a column.  For fields
normally used in some scalar context and bound to a column for use in a
table like the WCS keyword in the example: these should be explicitly
addressed by the relevant sections of the document (I don't recall if
they are).   So the WCS discussion should explicitly talk about the use
of WCSs in tables.  Of course the proposed approach really doesn't solve
the problem since in principle a single row could have many images each
of which needs different WCS values but this approach only allows a
single WCS for a given row. The approach here is a band-aid on the lack
of true structures in FITS.

As a convention used by different groups which each have different
choices as to what columns may be compressed to keywords I think it is
great, but I don't believe that all useful conventions need to be or
should be incorporated into the standard.

     Regards,
     Tom McGlynn