[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the CONTINUE convention

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:07:54 EST 2016

OK, it's 22 years, not a quarter century:
http://heasarc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/ofwg/docs/ofwg_recomm/r13.html
But the convention as written has been used in millions of files since then.
As Peter said, it may, in hindsight, not be the most beautiful solution (and
if we were designing it today, we might have chosen your proposal), but it
works, and has been working for 20+ years, so let's just live with it.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA