[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the Green Bank convention

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 1 09:14:10 EDT 2016

The paragraph of descriptive text about the Green Bank convention
(http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/FITS/Conventions/greenbank-rev2.pdf)
comes *verbatim* from the first World Coordinate System paper published
by Greisen and Calibretta in 2002.  The IAU FITS Working Group voted
unanimously to approve this paper in December 2002, so this text has
been officially part of the FITS standard for more than 15 years.  It is
a bit late to raise objections to this now.

This Green Bank convention was one of the primary agreements reached at
an important meeting to discuss standard FITS formats for the
interchange of single dish radio astronomy data held at Green Bank in
1989.  I think it is fair to say that this agreement was historically
significant in promoting FITS as the standard format for astronomical
data.  Thus I think it is entirely appropriate to now recognize and
document the Green Bank convention in the FITS standard document itself,
for the benefit of future researchers.

-Bill