[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the Green Bank convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 1 09:04:41 EDT 2016

I still disagree.  Either this additional text is a real change to the
FITS standard such that code reading/writing FITS could be affected, or
it is not.  Lucio seems to be arguing that it is not.  If so then I feel
if makes the standard less clear and that alone should be enough for it
to be omitted.   Also, I see its inclusion in the standard is implicitly
an endorsement of this usage and I am not clear that this is a usage
that should be encouraged.

Not do I entirely agree that this is not a real change.  Since the
sentence discussing expanding header keywords to columns or collapsing
columns to keywords, immediately follows a sentence with a <must>  I
think that this paragraph goes some way towards actually incorporating
the Green Bank convention into the standard.  I could see some one
reading this paragraph coming to this conclusion.   For the reasons
given before I think that the unrestricted convention is undesirable
(i.e., without some specific knowledge of specific keyword/columns that
are potentially affected).

Thus I see no useful purpose in adding this paragraph to the standard
and some cost.

     Regards,
     Tom McGlynn