[fitsbits] results of IAUFWG votes on INHERIT and Green Bank convention (fwd)

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Jul 12 05:36:20 EDT 2016

The IAUFWG vote about reserving the INHERIT kwd and mentioning the "Green
Bank convention" in the FITS standard has terminated with the following
results (I remind that 2 questions were voted).

The first question was:

Do you agree to the fact the FITS standard reserves in section 4.4.2.6 the
boolean keyword INHERIT for the support of the registered convention
described informationally in Appendix K ?

- there were 22 valid votes i.e. all of 22 IAUFWG members
- therefore the quorum for approval requires 17 yes votes
- there were 1 abstain vote and 21 yes votes

The second question was:

Do you agree to the fact the FITS standard explicitly mentions in section 8.2
[...] the so-called "Green Bank convention" which [...] is a registered
convention and is described informationally in Appendix L ?

- there were 21 valid votes out of 22 IAUFWG members
- therefore the quorum for approval requires 16 yes votes
- there were 1 abstain vote and 20 yes votes

Therefore according to the IAUWFG voting rules both proposals are approved,

It is likely that a comprehensive version of the FITS standard document
with all the recent additions will be released within the summer.

for the IAU FITS WG