[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the compression conventions

Dick Shaw shaw at noao.edu
Tue Jan 12 19:20:23 EST 2016

The main idea behind combining the image and table compression conventions into a single Chapter
for inclusion in the Standard is that they draw upon the same technology and the same approach
w.r.t. making floating-point numbers, NaNs, etc. compressible. Thus, many of the tables and other
material apply to both. I attempted (as the original authors did) to craft the narrative in a way
that could be extended in the future, should other techniques be incorporated, or other kinds of
data objects be the target of compression. What's mostly different between compressing images vs.
tables is the way the data are chunked prior to compression, and the wrangling of the relevant
metadata.

So to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to split the proposed update into two. I'm not sure I'd
object, but I don't know what would be gained by doing so. Yes it's true that table tile
compression is not very widely used today (and many apps may not choose to implement table
compression soon), but that may change in the future. Anyway, the machinery clearly works, and the
chapter as proposed makes very clear the intention of supporting multiple types of compressed data
objects in FITS.

-Dick

[...]