[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the compression conventions

van Nieuwenhoven, Richard Richard.vanNieuwenhoven at adesso.at
Tue Jan 12 00:46:40 EST 2016

Just a remark to the "burden of supporting tile-compressed FITS images"

While the first porting of all cfitsio (C programming language)
compression code to nom-tam-fits (java programming language) was high.
My estimate is that the whole port took me ~100 hours. But at least half
of the time has gone in the outer design of the API -> clear separation
of responsibilities, removing and detecting all code duplications and
creating unidirectional code dependencies.

But now that there are two (free available) implementations of the fits
compression, the next implementation should have a much easier job,
implementing/porting them.

And as Bill stated implementations can always fall back on cfitsio and
now also on nom-tam-fits if they don't want to implement the algorithms
them self.

-Ritchie

--
BSc Richard van Nieuwenhoven
Software Architekt

adesso Austria GmbH
floridotower 26. Stock              T +43 1 2198790-0
Foridsdorfer Hauptstr. 1            F +43 1 2198790-13
A-1210 Wien                         H +43 664 88614710
                                    E richard.vannieuwenhoven at adesso.at
                                    www.adesso.at