[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the compression conventions

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jan 11 10:40:34 EST 2016

Dear FITS,

I have no objection to tiled compression for image data, which
I understand to have been in wide and successful use.

However, I would like to reiterate the concerns I aired in the
previous public comment period about tiled compression for *table*
data (the proposed Section 10.3).  In response to my query
about where this convention has been used to date, only one example
was given; Bill Pence cited its use by the FACT Cherenkov Telescope
project (see message
https://listmgr.nrao.edu/pipermail/fitsbits/2015-July/002803.html).
As Bill noted, in that case a custom compression algorithm was used,
which as I understand it means that although they are using substantial
parts of the proposed compression convention, they are not using
it in quite its proposed form, so that a FITS reader implemented
according to the current proposal would not recover the FACT data.

My feeling is that this level of usage of the tiled table compression
convention does not justify its addition into the standard,
especially in view of the proposal's complexity, and hence the
implementation burden it imposes upon implementors (e.g. me) who
wish to be able to parse all standard-compliant FITS table data.

Tom McGlynn made a similar point:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015, Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) wrote:

> I've almost no insight into table compression.  Given that no one seems to be
> using this convention, my suggestion would be that it's premature to add to
> the standard.

Mark