[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the CONTINUE convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Fri Feb 26 12:46:35 EST 2016

I don't see any significant issues with this proposal.  Tiny nits below.
     Tom McGlynn

    - I don't like the difference in the requirement that there be a
space before the / in comments
      in CONTINUE versus a recommendation that there be such a space in
other keywords.  It seems
     cleaner to have the same rules both places.  This kind if niggling
difference is a trap waiting to cause problems to some
     poor soul in the future.  Given that we can't invalidate existing
FITS files, I prefer to simply
     recommend the space both places (not really sure why we make this
recommendation anyway).

   - Given that there is some reference to the historical background of
this convention I think it might
     be appropriate to note that this convention is now to be applied
regardless of the existence of
     a LONGSTRN key in the header.  Maybe the reference in the appendix
is enough...

   - It would be nice if there were some discussion of the value of the
comment section when there
     are multiple comments.  E.g., what is the value of the comment
associated with KEY in the following

KEY = 'abc&' ./ Comment1.
CONTINUE 'def&' /          Ten spaces after /.
CONTINUE '' / More...

Do I preserve spaces after the /, are they completely insignificant,
should I simply put a single space between lines and ignore leading
and trailing spaces otherwise.  I could imagine:
    ' Comment1          Ten spaces after /. More ...'
or
   'Comment1Ten spaces after/.More ...'
or
   'Comment1. Ten spaces after /. More ...'

I think I'd prefer the last.  [Leading and trailing spaces
insignificant, but all lines but the first preceded by space.]  I
wouldn't mandate this but some statement indicating preferred practice
would make sense.

    - Not  clear to me what

KEY = 'abc&'
CONTINUE

is supposed to mean.  Is the CONTINUE keyword conforming so that KEY=abc
or non-conforming (no string in it) so the ampersand is significant?  I
think I prefer the former, but not obvious what 'conforming' means.

    - Do we want to dis/encourage this convention to be used when the
string value would fit, but we have a long comment?  E.g.,
KEY = 'short&' / The start of a very, very, very...
CONTINUE '&' / very, very, very, ...
CONTINUE '&' / very, very, very, ...
CONTINUE '' / long comment

If this is a practice we want to encourage, then the limitation of
CONTINUE to after string keywords makes less sense.