[fitsbits] further reopening of Public Comment Period on the CONTINUE convention

Tim Pearson tjp at astro.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 21 16:34:58 EDT 2016

The maximum number of characters in a string-value is an issue of semantics, not syntax, and depends on the usage of the keyword. With the current FITS standard, if no maximum length is specified in the appropriate document that defines the keyword, it is safe to assume that the maximum is 68 characters. If CONTINUE is added, there is no explicit maximum.

I therefore recommend that if this change is adopted, the rest of the standard be modified to specify the maximum length allowed for the string value for each keyword for which the usage is defined in the standard. The standard should also recommend that other documents defining string-valued keywords should specify the maximum allowed length. If this is a number > 68 (or explicitly "unlimited") then programmers will know that they have to be prepared to use the CONTINUE convention. If the appropriate document does not define a maximum length, then the backwards-compatibility requirement in FITS means that the maximum length is 68.

I disagree with the injunction "Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept". Being "liberal in what you accept" means that problems may go undetected for a long time before a less-liberal program trips over them. (I've encountered this many times: the offenders say "but DS9 accepted my file!")

Tim Pearson