[fitsbits] further reopening of Public Comment Period on the CONTINUE convention

Peter Weilbacher pweilbacher at aip.de
Wed Apr 20 17:41:07 EDT 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Mark Calabretta wrote:

> So it seems we now agree on creating two classes of string-valued
> keywords.  I would simply like to assign the labels "string" and "long
> string" to them.

I have to say that I would find it pretty ugly.

You argue very well why for some languages this needs completely
different handling (and the more this discussion goes on the more I
realize that I have to re-check my own C code), but this is still an
implementation detail.
Giving continued and not-continued keywords explicitly different types
would complicate the standard without little gain.

Just my 2cts...
   Peter.
--
Dr. Peter M. Weilbacher             http://www.aip.de/People/PWeilbacher
Phone +49 331 74 99-667                       encryption key ID 7D6B4AA0

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Matthias Winker
Stiftung bürgerlichen Rechts, Stiftungsverz. Brandenburg: 26 742-00/7026