[fitsbits] further reopening of Public Comment Period on the CONTINUE convention

Mark Calabretta mark at calabretta.id.au
Tue Apr 19 06:07:11 EDT 2016

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 00:19:43 -0400
William Pence <William.Pence at nasa.gov> wrote:

> "The CONTINUE keyword must not be used with of any of the mandatory or
> reserved keywords defined in this standard unless explicitly stated
> otherwise."
>
> Would adding this restrictive language to the current proposal make it
> acceptable to everyone?  If not, please speak up.

That would address my immediate concern, though I feel that it misses
the point that CONTINUE'd strings are effectively a different data type.

It also begs your response to my suggested amendment, namely:

  CONTINUE may only be used for keywords that are declared to have a
  value of type "long-string".  It must not be used for keywords of
  type "string".

Regards,
Mark Calabretta