[fitsbits] further reopening of Public Comment Period on the CONTINUE convention

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 12 10:54:51 EDT 2016

I suggest we add the following restriction on the use of the CONTINUE
convention:

"The CONTINUE keyword must not be used to extend the length of any of
the mandatory or reserved keywords defined in this standard unless
explicitly stated otherwise."

I actually think this restriction is not really needed (I trust users to
not abuse the use of CONTINUE) but FITS has traditionally evolved very
slowly and I don't think it hurts to be overly conservative in this case.

-Bill

Dr. William Pence    Astrophysicist     William.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662     [Emeritus]       +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                      +1-301-286-1684 (fax)