[fitsbits] JSONFITS, a suggestion for rendering FITS files in an Internet standards friendly format

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Wed Sep 30 11:37:04 EDT 2015

Hi Brian,

I'm curious why you decided that you would do a specialized encoding of
the payload rather than render it in JSON directly. Is this simply a
size decision.  My guess is that floating point numbers might incur s
significant penalty but I'm not sure about the other types (when you
include compression), but have you looked at this for real FITS files.
If you're in a context where you're using JSON, providing the data in a
JSON format would seem to make sense.  If you only want to provide FITS
metadata, then just encode the headers.

I'm not sure I understand why you would have any loss of precision in
floating point numbers as John Parejko suggests -- if it's just the
quality of the supporting libraries then I don't think that need drive
your standard.   However you would have to worry about loss of precision
of longs with large absolute values where they are not exactly
representable as doubles.  These you could represent as strings.
Variable length records -- particularly for a FITS file that reuses heap
locations - is probably another difficult area.  While I think the
majority of actual FITS files could be handled very naturally, it's
legal to write FITS files where the same set of bytes is read as a
integer for one row and a float for another.  So in this most general
case an intermediary byte array is required.  Despite these issues, I
think a more complete JSON rendering would be more popular.

     Regards,
     Tom McGlynn