[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the CHECKSUM convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Fri Jun 26 16:16:38 EDT 2015

I knew I'd missed one of these conventions when trying to review them
all.  No one else seems to have commented on this one either....

I'm generally pretty supportive of this proposal.  My only real
substantive comment is that I think the algorithm should not be
recommended but mandatory.  If someone else wants to use some other
checksum, they can simply pick their own keyword[s].   This may not be
possible if someone else is already using another variation, but if not,
then I'd don't see any advantage to providing flexibility here.  There
doesn't seem to be much cost to this one though a library that doesn't
support it may want to delete the keywords when writing out data in case
there has been some change.

In my categorization of standards, this one could fit in either the
semantic or structural categories.

     Tom