[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on compressed FITS image and tables

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 15:42:17 EDT 2015

I only know of a couple projects that are considering using the
compressed table convention when they eventually start producing massive
amounts of binary table data.  Otherwise I don't know of any projects
that are currently using the compressed table convention.

Many people are probably unaware of this convention (documenting it in
the FITS standard would certainly raise its visibility).  There was a
brief email on FITSBITS in November 2013 when it was added to the
registry for public review, but no one commented on it.

It should also be noted that, unlike tile compressed images, there is no
existing software (including CFITSIO) that can read the contents of a
tile compressed table on the fly. The compressed table is a perfectly
valid FITS file, but the contents of the table are pretty opaque until
it is uncompressed.  One can compress any binary table using fpack, but
then one must uncompress it with funpack before any existing software
can make any sense of the data that is stored in the table. So the tile
compressed table convention is mainly useful for archiving large set of
tables.  It typically produces much more compression than one gets by
simply gzipping the binary table.

-Bill