[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on compressed FITS image and tables

Mandel, Eric emandel at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 24 12:28:44 EDT 2015

> How interesting.  I'm not sure if your experience argues for or
> against the incorporation of tile compression in the standard.

For me as a developer, tiled compression already is part of the standard:
the very first email we got after announcing release 1 of JS9 (October
2014) was a complaint that it did not  handle rice-compressed tiled
images.  I eventually came to the conclusion that cfitsio *was* the
practical standard, at least for anyone trying to write software for the
community at large. I know Bill Joye has spent a lot of time implementing
tiled compression in DS9 (which does not use cfitsio), just because of
widespread demand.

So in the end I guess I would have to recommend official adoption of
widely-used conventions such as tiled compression, because at least they
will get documented properly. It may be that we have to recognize the
reality of this path: conventions become de facto standards by wide
adoption, and eventually need to be recognized as such.

Eric