[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on CONTINUE Long Kwd convention

William Pence William.Pence at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 24 22:43:05 EDT 2015

Hi Ritchie,

Your suggestion of how to continue the comment in long string keywords
over additional null string CONTINUE keywords is quite clever.  I will
probably steal this idea and implement it in the next release of
CFITSIO.  I also support the suggestion to add an example to the
documentation about this convention that illustrates this usage.

However, I doubt if there would be much support for extending this
convention to other keyword data types (where the value can easily fit
on a single header keyword) simply to be able to continue the comment
field over multiple keywords.  For one thing, the keyword shown in your
example, namely

INTKEY  = 1245678901234&  / Optional

does not conform to format of any of the currently allowed keyword data
types.  My impression is that most FITS users find it quite acceptable
to simply write a long comment over multiple COMMENT keywords, often
times just preceding the keyword itself.

regards,
Bill