[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Landsman, Wayne B. (GSFC-667.0)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] Wayne.B.Landsman at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 23 16:05:17 EDT 2015

On 6/23/15 2:56 PM, William Pence wrote:
> So far, all the comments about the INHERIT convention have been quite
> negative.  Does anyone want to offer any positive comments in support
> of incorporating this convention into the FITS standard?
I will offer the positive comment of human readability.     If I have
100 image extensions, and they all share identical values of 200 FITS
keywords, then I would prefer that these "fixed" keywords be stored in
the primary header, so that they do not clutter the image extension
headers.

In addition, eliminating the INHERIT convention would eliminate any
distinction between keywords with "fixed" image values, and those whose
values can change with each extension.     This meta information in the
INHERIT convention provides additional data integrity -- any updates of
the fixed keywords are forced to apply to every image extension.

I am not certain if the advantages of INHERIT convention are sufficient
to include it in the FITS standard.      But I hope that groups ( such
as STScI  ) that currently use the convention will continue to use it
.      --Wayne